Advocacy and Lobbying
Carers can often find themselves in situations where their wishes and needs are not being taken into account. It can sometimes take all their time and energy to get what they want for the person they are caring for, leaving them with little for themselves. The Carers Association play a central role in highlighting the issues affecting Family Carers in their day-to-day lives and advocate on their behalf to ensure they have a voice and can participate fully and equally in society.
The Association advocate on behalf of Carers by:
- Empowering Carers by giving independent information which helps them know about and obtain their rights and entitlements;
- Supporting Carers who are experiencing difficulties by helping them find the best possible solution to their situation.
- Write letters or make phone calls on their behalf;
- Accompanying them to meetings or speak on their behalf;
- Giving Carers a collective voice through local Carer Support Groups.
The Carers Association frequently consult with Carers to ensure that their views and needs are been addressed and work towards raising awareness about the needs of Carers with health professional, services providers and Statutory bodies.